Saturday, July 26, 2008

Vacation

It's been a great two weeks in the Savannah area! I recommend Charleson, SC as a vacation getaway. There are tons of great places to visit. On this trip, I went to Capt. Dicks Deep Sea Fishing trip. Though it is not in Charleston (closer to Myrtle Beach, SC), it was within range of the fun-o-vehicle. Sadly, we didn't catch anything, though I gave back to the sea...threw up violently - damn seasickness. It was a neat trip out to the Continental Shelf - I've never been that far out to sea before. Next time, get the astronaut patch! No more puking. The rest of that day consisted of a visit to Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach. Excellent aquarium, just like its sister in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Highlights were petting the horseshoe crabs and stingrays.

The next day consisted of a visit to Patriot's Point in Charleston. We toured the USS Yorktown, a decommissioned aircraft carrier from WWII and the Cold War. Also, we toured the USS Clamagore, the last US diesel submarine built, and the USS Laffey, a historic destroyer from WWII. Finally, we toured a WWII Coast Guard vessel and a recreation of a US Naval Support base from Vietnam.

No comments: